Regulations require that expired/discontinued medications be destroyed to prevent unauthorized distribution, diversion or unauthorized use. Typical drugs and their packaging include tablets, capsules, granules and liquids in conjunction with their associated pill bottles, caps, vials, ampules, blister packs, and unit dosing packages.
No matter the particular type of drug and packaging utilized, the destruction of expired/discontinued drugs is subject to strict accountability. Normally accomplished by nurses, pharmacists or other authorized personnel, removing individual pills/capsules from multiple-dose blister packs before destroying is obviously time consuming and wasteful of their professional expertise. This drug shredding machine offers the industry an efficient, safe and highly accountable solution to this problem.
- Staff is less likely to postpone destruction of medications because of time constraints.
- Less time involved in medication destruction, thus saving money in employee salaries
- Decreased cost involved in the destruction process (nurses time, sharps containers, separate shredding of cards for HIPPA compliance purposes, less bio hazard trash).
- Offers increased accountability for Controlled Substances.
- Decreases chances of drug diversion.
- Keeps staff happy.
- Environmentally friendly – keeps drugs out of the water system.